Friday, October 28, 2011

When it's everyone else's fault

ac·count·a·bil·i·ty   noun /əˌkountəˈbilitē/  1. To be liable to account for one's actions;

This word of simple meaning is slowly fading away from people's thoughts as society makes it easier and easier to blame others. In almost all situations it is pretty easy to point at someone else or something else for being the cause for our misfortunes.

Before I write anymore, I am aware that I told you I'd have a post about conflicts later this week. It is on it's way, I felt I needed a little more preparation to write a good blog entry. And tonight something, which I'll talk about shortly sparked my interest in the increasing lack of accountability from all of us. That being said let me continue...

Even though my example, the one which sparked my thoughts, is about a very sensitive subject my intent is not to point or judge any group of people by color, language, disability or any other minority. In fact, I love to see the weaker groups strive for excellence. In sports I'm often found cheering for the underdogs. It's often the way people battle for their rights I find misleading and unrepresentative of their true nature or even degrading to their peers.

I'm French Canadian and proud to be. I also live in a bilingual community and I am even more proud of that, to see the progress and how both French and English can co-exists. There are some moments of frictions which is perfectly normal but beyond that it's an harmonious relationship between both entities.

French being the minority, we sometimes have to fight our way. Which again is normal. Today on the News, they announced that a law (it may have been in probation for a while but I think it's just starting to be enforced) forcing billboards to be bilingual. This part of town is a bit more Francophone and some billboard were advertising in English only. To some, this may sound like a victory. To me, it's a poor way to force something on people. And I also find it stupid to force, in example, a radio station to post advertisement in two languages when it's a uni-lingual business.

This brings me to my initial definition of accountability. Maybe, just maybe, that if French people around here would talk French when dealing with businesses that businesses would notice how many of their clients are actually French. Or maybe instead of petitioning for bilingual advertisement French folks would only deal with businesses who makes an effort to offer service in both languages. I've personally stopped going at a certain coffee shop because I didn't get understand when I ordered a "Moyen café" in a part of town that's largely French (I also don't like their coffee much).

I would rather see both groups get along by nature, in a much more organic fashion. It takes time, it may be frustrating at some point but in the end there would be a mutual respect from both sides. Forcing matters rarely brings people closer.

All this being said. Lets take more responsibility for our own faith. Blaming the city for slipping on ice won't repair any broken hips, be careful when you put your own feet. Don't blame others for what's under your feet. Oh!! I should put that in a quote...

"Don't blame others for what's under your own feet."
- Me

 Start being accountable for your actions, your feelings, your moods and your thoughts. When you feel sad look for the reason within and not outside of you. When you make a mistake, it's not your neighbor's fault take responsibility for it. And the most important of all (yes, I kept the best for last)...

Don't wait for others to make you happy, be the happiness in you own life and the rest will follow.

I challenge you all to be accountable for your own lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment