Monday, February 28, 2011

Quote - Mick Napier - Fearless Living

Mick Napier
This week's quote can apply to everyone. We all want something we can't get out of our daily routines. To travel, a particular job, to be better at something, be a writer.

Some time ago, I picked up a book recommendation on improvisation. Curious, I bought it and read it. Improvise by Mick Napier who is one of the most notorious improviser in North America. Before I read the book I was the worst improviser on earth and I still am after. Don't quote me wrong, the book is great, Mick is a master of his art there's no doubt about it. The reason I did not improve has nothing to do with the book, I just did not practice improv and put all the tricks in action. No practice, no gain. But I still learned a lot from the book and every time I have the chance to read something from a master of his art, it's always an insightful experience. People who succeed in life always have some good advices to share about how they got there. In this case, this particular line in the book caught my attention...

"Declare what you honestly want and live that vision fearlessly."
- Mick Napier

When saying this, Mick was discussing the many reasons why people do improvisation. For fun. To meet people. And to be a professional improviser. And in that case he's saying to put it on the table, tell others that that's your plans. Don't pretend to do improvisation for fun when your real goal is to become a professional. And once you've declared and shared your goal, live it intensely. Put all the effort you can in making it a reality and don't fear the reaction of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment