Thursday, February 2, 2012

Is it worth the risk?

Recently I had a major sport injury. I broke some bones in my hand and dislocated a finger. It was an horrible sight, but I had to look at it at some point. It's my hand and it's attached to my body. After some pain, long waits in hospitals and surgery I'm back to "normal" life, if trying to be functional with one hand can be considered normal.

On my side everything is fine. There is a considerable amount of adjustments to do to my daily life. For example, I can't put peanut butter on my toasts in the morning without a yoga ceremony. But I kinda like the new life, it's challenging and it forces me to re-align certain things.

People often seems more discouraged about my situation than myself. And the one question that I got many many times and which puzzles me is:

Was it worth it?

Yes. Of course it was. I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Was that particular game worth playing? Or was it worth playing sport all your life? I have to admit that if, let's say, God came to me before the game and told me that would happen, I would have side lined and watch the game from there.

But if God would have told me "In your life, if you play sport you will one day break a whole bunch of stuff in your hand." Then I would have still played. Why? Because that's simply life as it is. There are risks in the game of life, if you want to enjoy life you have to face risks. It's inevitable. Using very conservative numbers, I've calculated that I've played well over 10000 hours of sports in my life* saying those hours were worthless would be like saying I had a miserable life so far. Those hours provided me with too much fun and pleasure to be tossed aside because of a single injury.

What now?

Right now, I'm enjoying my new life. I don't like typing at turtle speed with one hand but I manage fine. I have to accept the fact I'll be like that for two months. I'm taking it positively, embracing the challenges that come with it. Trying to think about the solution instead of focusing on the problem.

Will I play again?

Yes. And I sincerely hope that nobody will stop themselves from engaging in fun life activities because they saw my injury. Life exist to be enjoyed and not to be sidelined (notice how I stick to the blog theme? That's cool writing, don't you think?) out of fear.


* If you want to compare there is 8760 hours in a year.



2 comments:

  1. I'm just impressed that you typed all of that with just one hand !!

    Heal fast Mat ! Such a positive outlook will surely help speed things up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I know it was long to type all that using one hand!

      Delete