Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Life's a marathon: Allegory #2

In the first marathon allegory I talked about how important experience was. It is experience which set your pace, without experience you'll either run too fast or too slow, waste energy when you should gain back energy and mush more factors that determines if you ever reach your goal.

But...

"Injury happens. When it does, it's up to you to decide if you keep running or not once you're back on your feet"

I twisted my right ankle this week and I can't run. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make my next long run but I will run again. That's my choice.

This may seems trivial when applied to running but this concept is present in our lives. We all love or loved to do certain things. For example, traveling. Some people love traveling around the world. But injuries happens. While in life situation a twisted ankle won't stop someone from its traveling habit having babies may. This would be an injury to his ability to travel, so to speak. But once back on his feet, the children old enough, traveling can resume. There's no reason why someone can't travel once their injury is cured.

I'm in my thirties and I've seen it happen over and over again. People loving sports stop because they're in college and never take up sport again. Even though they miss the old days. Some leave their bands and stop playing music to focus on a job. Others stop drawing, writing, painting because they get in a new relationship.

Life is long, when you take a break from something you love, don't make it an absolute break. Get back to it once you're back on you feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment