Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Simply vacation

Ocean panning to the horizon, a cool salty breeze blowing through the long beach grass, sandy shore to my left and rocky cliffs at my right. Behind me was infinite grassy hills spotted with multicolored houses looking like small mushrooms. The sky was cloudy and the sun getting ready for a night's rest. Sharing all this beauty with people I love.

Doesn't that sound magical? That is exactly how I felt on vacation last week as I looked around me. As impressive and as immersing this seems, I still had the urge to pickup my iPad and connect to a wireless network to check my emails. I open it and see that I have no service. The campground's network was only 10$ for the week, I've paid much more to get there, this was nothing.

At that moment I looked around me again. The ocean. The wind in the sand. The beach. The colorful hills. The wonderful people around me. And I asked myself, what will Internet bring to that already magical moment?

NOTHING.

Vacations are about escaping your day to day routine. Forget about that TV show you watch on Monday nights, forget about your emails (don't worry they'll wait until you get back), forget about everything and live the moment. Now. There's no tomorrow or yesterday when you're on vacation.

I've had some hectic vacations in the past in which I've seen loads of marvelous landmarks. But I have to admin that these vacations when I woke up in the morning without a clue what I was going to do that day were refreshing and relaxing.

Where was that little piece of heaven?

Les Iles de la Madelaine. A set of small tiny islands about 80 kilometers North of Prince Edward Island, Canada. People in those remote places don't know about stress. They go know about helping and supporting your community, something I talked about briefly in my earlier blog Food for Thought. I found it inspiring to see the local products so widely spread over the islands. Crafts from china is still cheaper but everywhere you went you saw local crafts. I visited a sand craft shop, drove on the other side of the island at a small coffee shop to see their lampshades made from sand I've seen earlier, serving beer from the brewery I visited the day before. I'm going at the market next weekend.

So. I had wonderful vacations filled with inspiring moments. Relaxing environment. And no Internet!

Simply marvelous. I can't wait for my next vacations.

Here's a few other pictures I took from the island.

Beautiful local art by Arthure

Local beer. Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment